Jun Guo received B.E. and M.E. degrees from Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (BUPT), China in 1982 and 1985, respectively, Ph.D. degree from the Tohuku-Gakuin University, Japan in 1993. At present he is a professor and a vice president of BUPT. His research interests include pattern recognition theory and application, information retrieval, content based information security, and network management.
He has published over 200 papers, some of them are on world-wide famous journals or conferences including SCIENCE, Nature Scientific Reports, IEEE Trans. on PAMI, IEICE, ICPR, ICCV, SIGIR, etc. His book “Network management” was awarded by the government of Beijing city as a finest textbook for higher education in 2004.
His team got a number of awards in national and international academic competitions including: the first place in a national test of handwritten Chinese character recognition 1995, the first place in a national test of face detection 2004, the first place in a national test of text classification 2004, the first place of paper design competition held by IEEE Industry Application Society 2005, the second place in the competition of CSIDC held by IEEE Computer Society 2006, the first place in blog-distillation Track by TREC 2009, the first place in Entity and Micorblog Track by TREC 2011.
He served as the Program Committee Chair of the first and second IEEE International Conference on Network Infrastructure and Digital Content in 2009, 2010 and 2012, respectively.
Selected Recent Publications in Journals
- Jun Guo, Hanliang Guo and Zhanyi Wang, An Activation Force-based Affinity Measure for Analyzing Complex Networks. Nature online magazine: Scientific Reports, 2011. http://www.nature.com/srep/2011/111012/srep00113/full/srep00113.html.
- Jun Guo, Guang, Chen, Weiran Xu, Word Activation Forces: Distinctive Statistics Revealing Word Associations, Wireless Personal Comm. Vol. 66, no. 3, 511-521, 2012.
- Weihong Deng, Jun Guo, Jiani Hu, Hongang Zhang, Comment on “100% Accuracy in Automatic Face Recognition”, Science, vol. 321. no. 5891, 912, 2008.
- Weihong Deng, Jiani Hu, Jun Guo, Extended SRC: Undersampled Face Recognition via Intraclass Variant Dictionary, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 34, no. 9, 1864-1870, 2012.
- Weihong Deng, Yebin Liu, Jiani Hu, Jun Guo: The small sample size problem of ICA: A comparative study and analysis, Pattern Recognition, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 4438-4450, 2012.
- Qun Li, Honggang Zhang, Jun Guo, Bir Bhanu, Le An. Reference-based scheme combined with K-SVD for scene image categorization. IEEE Signal Process. Lett., 20(1):67-70. 2013.
- Weihong Deng, Jiani Hu, Jun Guo, Hongang Zhang, Chuang Zhang, Comments on “Globally Maximizing, Locally Minimizing: Unsupervised Discriminant Projection with Application to Face and Palm Biometrics”, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 30. no. 8, 1503–1504, 2008.
- Weihong Deng, Jiani Hu, Jun Guo, Weidong Cai, Dagan Feng, Robust, accurate and efficient face recognition from a single training image: A uniform pursuit approach, Pattern Recognition, vol. 43. no. 5, 1748-1762, 2010.
- Weihong Deng, Jiani Hu, Jun Guo, Weidong Cai, Dagan Feng, Emulating biological strategies for uncontrolled face recognition, Pattern Recognition, vol. 43. no. 6, 2210-2223, 2010.
- Jiani Hu, Weihong Deng, Jun Guo, Weiran Xu. Learning a Locality Discriminating Projection for Classication, Knowledge-Based Systems, vol. 22, no. 8, 562-568, 2009.
- Zhang Honggang, Deng Weihong, Guo Jun, Yang Jie. Locality Preserving and Global Discriminant Projection with Prior Information, Machine Vision and Applications, 21(4):577-585, 2010
- Chun-Guang Li, Jun Guo, and Bo Xiao, Intrinsic Dimensionality Estimation within Neighborhood Convex Hull, International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, vol. 23, no. 1, 31-44, 2009.
- Wei Chen, Gang LIU, Jun GUO, Shinichiro OMACHI, Masako OMACHI, and Yujing GUO, A novel confidence feature extraction algorithm based on latent topic similarity, IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems, E93-D(8), 2243-2251, 2010.
- Haifeng Shen, Gang Liu, Jun Guo, Mixed environment compensation based on maximum a posteriori estimation for robust speech recognition, Artificial Intelligence Review, 32:1–11, 2009.
Selected Recent Publications in Conferences
- Weihong Deng, Jiani Hu, Jun Guo, In Defense of Sparsity Based Face Recognition, IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2013.
- Li Si, Zhengjun Zha, Zhaoyan Ming, Meng Wang, Tat-Seng Chua, Guo Jun, Xu Weiran, Product Comparison using Comparative Relations, The 34th Annual ACM SIGIR Conference, Beijing, 2011.
- Cao Yudong, Zhang Honggang, Guo Jun, Weakly Supervised Locality Sensitive Hashing For Duplicate Image Retrieval, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP’11), Brussels, 2011.
- Wang Qiang, Liu Gang, Guo Zhiyuan, Guo Jun, Chen Xiaoyu, Structural fingerprint based hierarchical filtering in song identification, IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME’11), Barcelona, 2011.
- Hu Jiani, Deng Weihong, Guo Jun, 2D projective transformation based active shape model for facial feature location, The 8th International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (FSKD’11), Shanghai, 2011.
- Lu Wenting, Li Lei, Li Tao, Zhang Honggang, Guo Jun, Web Multimedia Object Clustering via Information Fusion, The 11th International Conference on Documents Analysis and Recognition (ICDAR’11), Beijing, 2011.
- Cao Yudong, Zhang Honggang, Guo Jun, Title Matching Image with Multiple Local Features, The 20th International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR’10), Istanbul, Aug. 23-26, 2010.
- Li Si, Zhang Hao, Xu Weiran, Chen Guang, Guo Jun, Exploiting Combined Multi-level Model for Document Sentiment Analysis, The 20th International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR’10), Istanbul, Aug. 23-26, 2010.
- Liu Lixia, Zhang Honggang, Feng Aiping, Wan Xinxin, Guo Jun, Simplified Local Binary Pattern Descriptor for Character Recognition of Vehicle License Plate, The 7th International Conference Computer Graphics, Imaging and Visualization, Sydney, Aug. 7-9, 2010.
- Wang Zhanyi, Xu Weiran, Hujiani, Guo Jun, Improving Entity Retrieval Models with Semantic Category Information, The 8th International Conference on Natural Language Processing (ICON 2010), Kharagpur, India, 2010.
- Chun-Guang Li, Jun Guo, and Hong-gang Zhang, “Learning Bundle Manifold by Double Neighborhood Graphs”, The 9th Asian Conference on Computer Vision (ACCV 2009), Xi’an, 2010.
- Zhang Honggang, Guo Jun, Guang Chen, Chunguang Li, HCL2000—A Large-scale Handwritten Chinese Character Database for Handwritten Character Recognition, The 10th IEEE International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition (ICDAR’09), Barcelona, 2009.
- Jiani Hu, Weihong Deng, Jun Guo. Semi-Supervised Learning Based on Label Propagation through Submanifold, The 6th International Symposium on Neural Networks, Wuhan, 2009.
- Xu Weiran, Liu Dongxin, Guo Jun, Cai Yichao, Hu Rile, Supervised Dual-PLSA for Personalized SMS Filtering, The 5th Asia Information Retrieval Symposium, Sapporo, 2009.
- Zhang Honggang, Lorant Toth, Deng Weihong, Guo Jun, Yang Jie, Monitoring Visual Focus of Attention via Local Discriminant Projection”, ACM International Conference on Multimedia Information Retrieval (MIR’08), Vancouver, 2008.
- Honggang Zhang, Jie Yang, Weihong Deng, Jun Guo, Handwritten Chinese Character Recognition Using Local Discriminant Projection with Prior Information, The 19th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, (ICPR 2008), Florida, 2008.
- Research on Network Security and Information Security in Mobile Internet, funded by The Next-Generation Broadband Wireless Mobile Communications Network Technology Key Project under Grant No. 2011ZX03002-005-01, 2011.1-2013.1.
- Web Multimedia filter based on EMF, 863 high-tech project, funded by Ministry of Science and Technology, 2008.1-2011.1, No.2007AA01Z417.
- Research on Web image document file filtering, funded by National Nature Science Foundation of China, 2005.1-2005.12, No.60475007.
- Activation force-based complex networks modeling and its applications, funded by National Nature Science Foundation of China, 2013.1-2016.12, No. 61273217.
- Advanced Intelligence and Network Service, Chinese 111 program, No. B08004.